Saturday, August 8, 2009

Growing up Grandly








































My little boy is growing up. He hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon with his Daddy on our vacation last week. They stayed at Phantom Ranch at the bottom and, after a $50 breakfast, hiked back up. When the food has to be taken down by mule, it's gonna cost ya.

They took all their food except the breakfast. They had their handy dandy backpacks with built-in water pouches. At ten, he's a bona fide hiker.

Now, fifth grade starts Monday. Next year it's middle school! I am not one of those moms who celebrate the start of the school year. Instead, I start weighing the merits of homeschooling (still afraid that might end in bloodshed). Still, I don't want to see him go!

He made it through the canyon without me. Next he may climb some peaks with Dad. I'm sure he'll do fine then too. He doesn't need Mommy for everything anymore. Fifth grade is no different, but it's all bittersweet to me. I don't want to watch him hike into the canyon without me; I am still proud of him when he does.


No comments:

Post a Comment