Friday, June 5, 2009

The Kiddies



Some people think I am talking about cats when I refer to my brood as "the kiddies." I'm not old enough yet to have a house full of cats. I have a house full of kids, currently.
I don't think of ours as a huge family, but man, people are shocked when they find out I have five. Many don't get it either, since the girl is #2. If she were #5, then people would think, "oh, they kept trying until they got the girl." No, instead we blew a "perfect family" (a boy and a girl) and went and had another one (and another, etc.).

We had the first one in 1999 and then the girl in 2000, and I always say that age difference is as close as I want to get to twins. We had three more boys in 2003, 2005, and 2008. We actually had two boys in 2003, but that's a story for another time. Yes, I have actually given birth to five boys.

I have always liked the idea of four children- two boys and two girls. However, I wouldn't rule out having more. My husband liked the idea of having kids until the oldest one had a kid, so there'd always be a baby around. Still don't know if he was joking or not. I would have to say we may have stopped at four, if we had gotten that perfect girl-boy ratio. I don't know. I get baby fever as soon as they start walking. Six is my limit, though. I just know. Still deciding on number six. Hubby is worried about pushing our luck as far as health is concerned. I am 36, and my odds of having a baby with an extra chromosome are higher in theory. I would love to have another girl for sure. Not ready to make that decision yet. I just have to stay away from newborns so I can make a rational decision.

I love my kiddies. They make me laugh and make me hold my breath with joy. This is the way to live- to have little ones pitter-pattering around taking it all in so I can too all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment